how2teach

Friday, October 28, 2005

Intelligently Designed Boycott

Are you following the whole Kansas School Board thing with ID and science education? I am a biology minor, so this stuff is in my blood, and I originated in KS, so this is deeper in my blood, and I am an educator, so I am supposed to watch all this, but I am fascinated as a learner as well. Read this article then consider some of these questions:

  1. If a little boy refuses his ball to the ballgame because he can't pitch, is he acting like a little boy?
  2. In a debate, how does one "overemphasize uncertainties"? Isn't a debate centered on two notions, that which is known and that which we theorize or postulate (i.e. feel less certain about, but believe it comes from the known). How do we educate if we cannot question?
  3. Is the position of the Associations of "scientists" related at all to any notion of scientific inquiry if we are not allowed to inquire?
  4. To quote before I question, "The standoff is a reprise of events in 1999 when the National Academy, the science teachers group, and the American Association for the Advancement of Science withheld copyright permission for materials that Kansas sought to incorporate into science education standards it developed that year. At the time the board had a majority who espoused creationism or intelligent design, beliefs that hold, respectively, that the Earth is only a few thousand years old and that complex life could not have arisen without help from a superintelligent being. Scientific evidence indicates that the Earth is more than 4 billion years old and that evolution can explain all of life's biological complexities." So I can't even quote a view from someone I disagree with without that person claiming copyright infringement because they don't want their words compared with mine? What have I just done?!?

Okay, I think I am done for the moment. And what compelled me to suggest we teach logical reasoning to our students?...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home